Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesdays With Dorie-Berry Surprise Cake

Today's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was chosen by Mary Ann of Meet Me in the Kitchen
Check her blog out for the recipe. And she has a really nice blog.
I never knew that Charolotte Russe is not just the name of a clothing store, but also the name of a yummy dessert. I also had never made a genoise cake before. I'm glad I tried it. It is fun to do new things;)

This recipe was a little tricky. Apparently genoise cakes are tricky. Mine sure was. My cake sunk a little. In looking at other people's blogs, it wasn't as bad as some. But I decided to cut the bottom off to use to cover the top. You are supposed to cut the top off and hollow it out. I didn't have a tall enough cake to do that. I saw someone on the group (eeek I'm sorry I can't find it now) that cut off the bottom, and that worked beautifully.

Here it was all served up.

It was good. My husband liked it. He loves strawberries and strawberry shortcake. The recipe called for raspberries but I didn't find any. I did find some blueberries that were a decent price. The cake was a little dense. I would like to use the filling and topping with another lighter cake.
Pretty good, just not spectacular like I'm used to with Dorie's recipes.
~Anjeanette

No comments: