Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Recipe For Stained Glass Jell-o

We come from a Utah Mormon family. I don't know if it is a Utah thing or a Mormon thing, but we ate a lot of Jell-O growing up. We have an arsenal of Jell-O recipes under our belts. So when Rebecca posted about her Jell-O, I didn't think about suggesting she post the recipe too. I forget everyone doesn't just know all the Jell-O recipes. Also, if you have a favorite Jell-O recipe, we would love for you to share it. You can never eat too much Jell-O. (I wanted to see how many times I could type Jell-O in one post;) I think my personal favortie Jell-O is either my Grandma's Green Jello Salad, or Mom's layered Jell-O. But both are favorites at all the holidays. I'll share two recipes since I can't seem to find Mom's recipe at the moment:

Stained Glass Jell-O

4 3-ounce boxes of JELL-O®
1 12-ounce can of evaporated milk
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin

*You may use any flavor of JELL-O® that you want. Pick your colors to coordinate with your theme, or your favorite flavors.

In separate bowls, dissolve 1 box of JELL-O® in one cup of boiling water. Pour into an eight inch square dish or pan. Chill until set, about 3 hours.

Once set, cube JELL-O® and mix in a 13" x 9" baking pan and set aside (in the refrigerator).

In a separate bowl, combine four envelopes unflavored gelatin with one cup boiling water. Let dissolve completely, about 5 minutes. Combine with one can of evaporated milk. Set aside to cool.

When milk mixture is cool, pour into 13" x 9" containing cubed JELL-O® and mix carefully until well combined. Chill until set, about 4 hours.

~~~~~
Green Jell-O

1 c. cottage cheese
3 oz. box lime Jello
16 oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks
1/4 c. salad dressing/mayo

Make Jello as directed on package. When cool, add other ingredients. Chill in refrigerator until set.
~Anjeanette

No comments: