Saturday, November 7, 2009

Silhouette Ornaments

Ok, I know it has been done before. But it is worth doing again! silhouette ornament

See? Totally cute! And I finished 5 in just a couple of hours (due to drying time).

I've fallen in love with this fabric from Michael Miller. It is the red Dainty Damask fabric. I have decided that if you have some really outstanding fabric or scrapbook paper, your project is going to be a success! You really don't have to do much to make it great. K.I.S.S.

I started with wood disks from Hobby Lobby. I painted them up and let them dry. I used the circles to trace onto my fabric. I cut inside my line to make my fabric circle smaller than my wood circles. Then, I Mod Podged the fabric circles onto the wood circles. (You could totally use pretty scrapbook paper if you don't do fabric.)

paint your wood and cut out paper or fabric circles

Use your favorite way of capturing your silhouettes. I had my kids stand sideways in front of a window. I printed the pictures out on regular paper, the size I wanted them. I just penciled in the bottom of the silhouettes...I liked a little curve at the bottom. I cut the paper pictures out and positioned them over the decoupage circles. Using transfer paper, I traced around the images. You could totally just cut them out of black paper if your cutting skills are up to snuff. If you are not a skilled cutter, or your scissors are dull as a butter knife, you can paint it on as I did. If you find your paint hard to work with, water it down a little so it flows more easily. Coat it with a sealer or more decoupage medium.

trace on images and paint in

Add an eye-hook and string it with some ribbon.

add a screw eye

I tied some ribbon that I had used for other ornaments on my tree.

silhouette ornament

I just love how they turned out. I also painted the names and year on the back so we can always remember;)

Something I am thankful for a husband that works to support us. Our insurance is particularly important to us. Although we are currently fighting with them, we would go under for sure without it. Thanks honey for taking care of us.

Anjeanette

***ETA

A few of you have asked about attaching the eye hook on the top. First, I had to buy them from the hardware store. Second, I did use a little hand tool that made a teeny pilot hole in the wood before I screwed in the hook. I used to be a nail technician a zillion years ago. I had this little tool that I used at the end of acrylic nails to add a hole to hang charms from. Funny, right? I'm not sure that people do that anymore. But in the past when I was putting eye hooks into wood, I would use a teeeeeny drill bit to drill a pilot hole first. Then I would have an easier time screwing in the eye hook. If you are strong (like my husband) you may be able to screw the eye hook into the wood without much trouble and without an eye hook. Hope that helps! Let me know if you still have questions.

33 comments:

Kendra said...

Love, Love, Love these! I wonder how long it would take to do 22 children... :)

Deb said...

Ack! Those are so cute! Just might be our ornaments that the kids give their grandparents this year!!!

Crafty Mom said...

I love these. Great gift for Grandparents! I've never done silhouettes but this is a great project to start with! Thanks for sharing!

Kari Sweeten said...

What a fabulous idea! I'll be featuring!

CitricSugar said...

So cute! They are very modern and yet they have a marvelous old-timey feel...

Makin' Me Crazy said...

Those are super cute!!

Timmarie said...

Absolutely love these. I think I will do them with a monogram since I can't do the other.( I am a pseudo-crafter, remember?)

SO CUTE!!!! You rock!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Very cool! Love this idea!

Angela said...

TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I love this idea!!! :) Thank you so much for all the inspiration!

Pauline said...

Those are SO awesome! I might have to try that. They would be wonderful to do each year. AWESOME!!

Anna said...

saw this from u create! LOVE THEM!

Thanks for inspiring me! :-)

Elise said...

I LOVE this idea!!! I was just talking to a friend of mine about this, but I was thinking of cutting. I think I will paint instead.
Thanks for the tute!!
Elise

kimcox said...

Those are so great. I posted about this on my blog.

Now I am in such a Christmas mood!! Thanks for sharing.

Sweet Woodruff said...

I'm so making these. I love them. Thanks for sharing them.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. We have a lot in common. My daughter was taken from me when she was born too. I can't watch her birth video because I'm laying on the table crying, begging for them to let me see her. Anyway, she's 18, strong and happy now.

My father was killed when I was 23 and ever since then I've tried to count my blessings and be grateful for everything, good and bad.... We lost everything in 2001 (due to a lay off after 9/11) and it made our marriage stronger. I never take anything for granted. Lord willing.

Take care.

Jane said...

These are very cute. Thanks for the tutorial. I like the idea of doing one every year...it would a nice way to see the changes from year to year. They would make great grandparent gifts!
Jane

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Very cute. I love the way you made those. Adorable!

XOOX
Jen

Unknown said...

These are so cute! I am going to try this idea this year for sure.

Adelia said...

Oh my goodness, these are so cute. I'm putting these on the 'to do' list! Thanks for sharing!!

Kathleen Grace said...

These are adorable and I think they would make a great grandparent gift! Thank you for sharing this on my Handmade Holidays link:>)

becky @ becky ann designs said...

I love these. Sending the info to my friend that is looking for a crafty children's ornament for her mom's Christmas gift.

Jessica Chandler said...

I love this idea but also the fabric!! I clicked on your link, but didn't see this particular print! Eek! I want it!!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

The fabric is named Red Dainty Damask by Michael Miller.

Holly Mathis Interiors said...

so cute..i would love to feature your project on my site..let me know if you are interested.

CC said...

These are so sweet..just adorable. What a wonderful gift for grandparents. I love this idea..

twinmommydiva said...

so, do you just twist that eye hook into the wooden disk? Is that too hard? Are there any tools you need to do that. Where do you find those little hooks at say "hobby lobby?"

Great idea, they can be very vintage-looking!

Katie said...

Love this idea, now when you say added an eye hook at the end, is this something you twist in? Or do you attach to the back with hot glue? Sorry if this is a clueless question but I know next to nothing about anything that comes from a hardware shop.

Unknown said...

Yay! LOVE.

Kari Sweeten said...

Just wanted to stop by and let you know that I featured this in my favorite ornaments post on Ucreate! THANKS!

Sew Flippin Cool said...

real heirloom pieces! I've featured them in a holiday decorations tutorial roundup on my blog, The Handmade Experiment. http://wp.me/pkcUM-pE

Thanks for sharing!
Emily

mab said...

This is FABULOUS! I'm bookmarking it so I can come back later and do these for my girls. It would be so neat to do one every year to see how they grow and change.

Thanks for the great tute!

Ambrosia said...

Darling! I can't wait to make these - one set for my tree, than one for each set of grandparents!

The Educators Spin On It said...

Love these - just added them to our ornament pinterest board =) http://pinterest.com/educatorsspinon/

The Educators Spin On It said...

Love these, just added them to our pinterest board! http://pinterest.com/educatorsspinon/