Thursday, March 4, 2010

Super Awesome Lego Party

lego table 3
Yes, it is the year of the Lego parties in our family!  Here is the second Lego party of the year.  The first was Katrina’s awesome Lego Agent party part 1 and part 2.  My Son just wanted a straight up Lego’s theme.  I knew this would be a very fun theme to go with…and it was!
lego giant lego 2
Decorations for this are so fun!  You can just go with bright colors.  I stuck with Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue.  I had a giant box and so I converted it into a giant Lego.  I like to have a cute backdrop for pictures of the Birthday kid opening up their presents.  I thought this giant Lego was perfect for that!
lego giant lego 1
This box was almost as tall as my Son!  I covered the box with plastic tablecloths that I got in the after Valentines Clearance sales.  Otherwise I was going to paint the box.  But for $.25/tablecloth I was sold! ;)  For the Lego tops I cut out the word Lego and used pop dots to attach it to circles that I cut out of paper.  I then raised those from the box with 3D Circles of paper.  On the sides I cut out the letters of his name, and age, out of 12X12 glossy bright paper (for each letter/number).  I still have this box out because he loves it!lego confetti
Other decorations were the afore mentioned colors of streamers, crepe paper, and balloons.  I also cut out a bunch of Lego shaped confetti and dangled some of it over the food table.  The rest of the confetti was scattered along the table top.
lego chocolates 1
On the food table I included Lego shaped chocolates that I made using my mold!  I usually tint white chocolate to the color that I want.  However, since I was going with vibrant colors, I bought chocolate that was already these colors.  I used clearance chocolate kits from Christmas.  They were $1/box and made TONS of chocolate.  I also used these chocolates to decorate the top of my Son's cake.  He requested a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, which did not go with my color scheme! ;)  Since it is about him, that’s what we had!

lego ice 1
I also made Lego shaped ice.
  lego party favor boxes 1
These were the goody boxes that I made up.  I punched out circles and attached them to the top with puffy 2-sided tape.  I made these boxes myself, so I was able to cut out each kid’s name from their box.  I then backed the cut out name with clear plastic (from sheet protectors that I have).  If you do this, remember to keep the insides of letters to attach onto the plastic (like the inside of the a in Zach).
lego key chains 1
For inside the goody boxes, I made up keychains out of Legos. lego key chains 2
Each keychain was a different color (not that the kids would notice, but I knew).  I also personalized them with a vinyl letter for each kids name.  I have found that everyone loves personalized gifts!  I know that I sure do!  Plus, I find it so much easier to tell gifts apart and end fights! ;)  lego keychain 2
We drilled holes in the corner of them and attached the keychain parts.  Super easy to do.  My Son builds Lego creations, using his keychain Lego.  Then, he attaches the creation to his backpack.  If you do this, remember these are Legos and the pieces come apart easily and you risk losing the creation.  So far we have not lost any.
lego playdough 2
Another part of the gift boxes was the Lego playdough that I had made.
lego playdough
I made the playdough out of these molds that we made just for this party!  lego soap 17 
The Lego Soap that I made was probably the biggest hit!  
These soaps were placed by every faucet in my house. lego soaps 2 
I also bagged the soap up in cellophane baggies and added them to the gift boxes!
Lego crayons 4
Lego Shaped Crayons?  Sure, why not?!  How fun are these!?
Lego Crayons 3
These are not the Lego soaps, or the Lego chocolates, though they all looked so similar.  These are Lego Crayons!  I made sure that all of these were kept apart, so there would be no confusion.  There were slight color variations as well that help in keeping them all straight.
lego table 2
This was the awesome Lego table that we had at the party!  I can not take any credit for this and was not even aware that I would have it at the party.  My Best friend came from out of town, a day early, with this beauty!  She and her Husband made it themselves!  It is the coolest thing and was PERFECT for the party, as well as has now been used non-stop since! 
lego table 1
It is much taller than most Lego tables that I have seen before, and is perfect for all 3 of my children to be standing around.  In fact 6 children were all playing on it at the same time and there was plenty of space for all.  She thought everything out perfectly.  There are 6 of those HUGE green squares on the top for extended building.  There is also a cubbyhole that is the perfect size for the giant size tubs of Legos.  Inside the cubby is as big as the table so we can fit all of our Lego buckets, all creations that we don’t want destroyed, all the booklets, and there is still room for more!  Thank you J&G!!!!  
lego book
We played our usual package game which is always a hoot.  We also did our traditional Heavy Heavy Hang while unwrapping presents.  We got rained out so there was no Treasure Hunt (which is another tradition for our parties).  I had many more activities planned that we did not get to like a spoon race and pin the dot on the Lego.  The kids were having too much fun playing with the Legos (don’t we always hope they are having too much fun to fit in everything we plan?!).  The picture above was another one of those activities that we did not even get to at the party.  Though we have been loving this activity since then.  I went to Lego’s website and had downloaded all of the directions they had for creations.  I then printed them out and put them in a book for my kids.  Above I took out 4 of the direction sheets and made the creation for you to see them.  I have extra sheet protectors in this book for my kids to also keep all of their Lego instruction books (we have a ton, and we are always needing to refer back to them to fix the broken models).  The directions for the creations are pretty fun and range from those pictured above (blue bird, school bus, dog, snail) to a globe, maple leaf, boy playing baseball, ice cream cone, and many many more (there are probably more than 20 of them)!  I would highly advise doing this even if you are not having a Lego party.  My kids are loving making these creations.  I just love Legos!!
As a bonus, I made up these fact sheets from pictures taken at Legoland.  My preference is to print them up on bright colored paper that goes along with the theme (red, yellow, green, and blue)!
Lego Fun Facts 1 Lego Fun Facts 2
Lego Fun Facts 3 Lego Fun Facts 4

Rebecca

As always, thanks to everyone who came to the party (and even those who could not make it)!  I adore you all.  You helped to make my Son’s Birthday magical!  Thank you for being in our lives and making them better!

~~~

Rebecca,
It all looks awesome.  I knew that we would be missing something special when D. came down with a fever.  Good thing I didn't get them all excited about the party.  (I learned a long time ago not to do that for just this reason).  I am so glad his big day was so great!  Though there was little doubt it wouldn't be (not with our family). ;)  P.S. Tell Lucky Mom that I think they did a fabulous job on that table!

Hugs,
Katrina

We are joining the fun party at
Visit thecsiproject.com

33 comments:

seven thirty three said...

Phew! Lego overload. Super cool. Love the soap!

Thanks for linking up today.

Kim
seven thirty three - - - a creative blog

mommy2luke2008 said...

I wish I was at that party!!! That is great!!! Looks like you put alot of hard work into it. Love the keychains!!!

Kaden Epstein said...

GREAT party stuff!!! Makes me want to have ANOTHER LEGO party. Good work mom!!!!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Fun party! I love legos! YOu went all out! Love it! : )

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did such a wonderful job!
Everything looks great.

Unknown said...

What a fun party! I love Legos...Thanks for sharing all the great tips and links~
xoxox Susie

Wic said...

absolutely stunning party. you are amazing.

Debbie said...

Love the Lego Party idea!!! Very creative. Found you from Friday follow over at Trendy Treehouse.
www.lifeofamodernmom.com

Heather said...

What an awesome Lego party for your little guy, he must have been over the moon! I absolutely LOVE the goodie boxes, those turned out great!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!
Just dropped by to let you know your blog brightens my day. Please visit my blog and grab a award under the awards label. Thanks!

Lori said...

O.K. this is way to cool. What a great party you had.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.
Lori

CitricSugar said...

Just awesome.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

This is beyond cute! I love the little lego chocolates and ice. Way to get creative with those molds!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Absolutely amazing! What a great party!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

mommyroo said...

Now that's a party my seven year old son would have loved to attend! Just awesome indeed!

Laney said...

I love themed parties! This looks like it was a ton of fun!

Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE IT! Such attention to detail! I'd love to feature it on my blog, with your permission. My readers truly appreciate those that go above and beyond for parties!

Michelle
www.everydaycelebrating.com

Julie said...

Amazing! All the way down to the lego ice! How lucky they are are to have creative Moms! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Tara said...

My daughter wants to have a boy/girl party for her 8th birthday. I showed her this. She loves it. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

Now how do I get me one of your molds. LOL The party is April 2nd. Can I buy a mold from you? Please. Hee Hee. I don't have access to and Ortho Tools.

Tara @ Trendy Treehouse

Unknown said...

I have been searching the internet for days for all kinds of lego ideas, and now I finally am sitting down resting with no pen and pencil handy to go to some of my fav. blogs and visit and I find this!!!!!! I love it, I want to do this for my son's party, Did you make the key chains alone?? I am not mechanically crafty. are you selling anything on etsy from the party like the molds etc.. or templates??? What games did you play???Was the cake the mold from lego.com?? I found a photo of a cake of a lego guy- Drop by website and see if you see anything you like? I would like to bend your ear about more- I also want to know if the soap is easy?/

S Club Mama said...

holy buckets! Could you have been my mom growing up? So sweet. I hope one day my boys like legos so I can do this. sweet

Issa Sarza-Quintos said...

whoa! unbelievably awesome! :) I'd like this sort of party for myself! lol! I like the lego crayons especially. :P Great work!

Melody said...

Awesome ideas! I have a son who is obsessed with Legos. :)

vanpeltium said...

Super Awesome is right!!! What a party!!! Love ALL your ideas....I will be stealing a few :)

I'm collecting ideas for our own lego party
http://vanpeltium-myhappyplace.blogspot.com/2010/09/lego-party-inspiration.html

Kelli W said...

That is an awesome lego party! I love the cute lego keychains...and the soap is such a cute idea!

Amy said...

Holy Smokes! All the detail! Love it!

(hiding this post from my 4 and 7 year olds...)

Unknown said...

I was wondering where you found the keychains...I wasn't sure where to begin looking and I liked that the guests got a little something fun (and functional) to take home! Thank you!

Sara @ CleverPinkPirate.com said...

Rebecca, this is amazing! I can't believe we didn't talk lego party at the #CraftandTell Elmer's event at Sara's house! I Love the mold you made, that is just awesome. I could not find a mold, so I am havThanks for sharing!

construction_julie said...

Found your post through Tip Junkie... you did such a great job with the Lego theme! I'm prepping for a Lego theme party for my soon-to-be 5 year old son. Thanks for the inspiration.

bmw said...

did you purchase the goody boxes or make them?

bmw said...

did you purchase the goody boxes or make them?

Unknown said...

Hi,
I love the goody boxes you made. Do you have directions on how to make them perhaps. I would love those for my sons 6th birthday party this year.
Thanks so much,
Erin

Jony said...

Amazing Article, Really useful information to all So, I hope you will share more information to be check and share here.EZ2 Result Today