Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Dr. Seuss Day-Quick and Easy Ideas to Celebrate With!

dr seuss day red fish
This is what will greet my children first thing in the morning (I’m writing this on Monday, March 1st).  I know they will thoroughly enjoy their swedish “Red Fish”!  We read a Dr. Seuss book for bedtime the night before, and we will read one every night until we run out (about 2 weeks worth for us).  Today is not just about Dr. Seuss (though we celebrate it today because it is his Birthday) but is also a fun week to focus on reading!  My parents were pivotal in giving me my love of reading.  I am hoping to instill the same love of reading in my children.   Things like celebrating Dr. Seuss Day, and Reading Week, will go a long way in pushing this hope. 
dr seuss day foot book
During the day, after we read Dr. Seuss’ “The Foot Book”, we will each be making our own “Foot Book”.  I guess the secret is out….that tracing of a foot above, is mine.  Yup!  My second toe is longer than my first toe!  But if you look at statues of the Greek Gods and Goddesses, their second toe is also longer than their first!  So, we can see of what cloth I was made from! ;)
Back to our “Foot Book”.  We will trace the kid’s feet for the shape of it.  They will cut out all of their own feet.  Then, I’m going to let them decide what to fill their “Foot Book” in with.  Mine has the words Right and Left on the appropriate feet pages.  Then, I have some info about my feet (stuff like my longer toe info, some pages I colored my toe nails, when I got my first pedicure…which was just last year, how I am a foot-a-phobe…which means I do NOT like feet, etc).  For their books I’m going to suggest maybe words that rhyme with foot, feet, toe, shoe, sock, or brainstorming other words that have to do with their foot.
dr seuss day cat in the hat hat
Next up will be making a hat like “The Cat In The Hat”.  I just took strips of white paper (1 inch tall) and stapled them together the size of my head.  Then for the front “hat” part I took the rest of the white paper and added red stripes to it that were 2 inches tall.  I rounded the top corners to look more like in the books.
dr seuss day cat in the hat books
I know that my kids will love making these after reading the books.
dr seuss day cat in the hat book
I have downloaded lots of other Dr. Seuss things like dot to dots, questionairres, matching games, word searches, coloring pages, fill in the blanks, and mazes that all coordinate with Dr. Seuss books.  We will be eating green scrambled eggs and ham.  Last year I made green jello eggs which are super fun too, especially if colored food is not your thing!
I hope these ideas give you some quick ideas that you can whip up yourself and celebrate Dr. Seuss Day.  Or you can use them this whole week for Reading Week, or at least focus on reading this week!

Rebecca

I am linking up to the following fun parties; A Soft Place To Land, The DIY Show Off, Lucky Star Lane, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Keeping It Simple, The Girl Creative, Tip Junkie, Todays Creative Blog,

16 comments:

Debi said...

How fun! I wish I had little ones so that I could share these fun activities with them! You are so creative... hope you and your children have a fun "Suess Week"!

Kaden Epstein said...

Super cute! I had just declared to my kids that March was Dr. Suess month...and I was going to read a book each night...but now I just MUST make a "foot book" and jello eggs!!!! Thanks!!!!

Kitschalicious said...

I LOVE Dr. Suess and so do my kids! We're going to have green eggs and ham for supper. We've done this for the last couple of years!

I wouldn't worry about your toes. I say that because my entire family's second toes are like that(including my kids). I thought I was the oddball because mine isn't! LOL! I defintly want to have them make a foot book. What a great idea!

LuckyStarErin said...

These are great ideas! My son is home sick (he's not very sick:)today and he will love making a foot book and hat. My husband has the longer toe, too. He reminds me that it means royalty all the time! Thanks for linking!

Jeanette said...

what great creative ideas

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Thanks so much! We are having a Dr. Seuss party tonight, and I am definitely using the foot book idea. Adorable!!!

Holly Lefevre said...

I just love Dr. Seuss Day! I may have to run to the store for some Swedish fish and fix things up a little before my son gets home from schhool. Cute ideas.
Holly
504 Main

Anonymous said...

Luv Green Eggs and Ham! Dr Seuss was a Trending Topic on Twitter today http://bit.ly/98RjsK

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great ideas! I love Dr. Seuss!

XOO
Jen

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Rebecca,
I am laughing because I bought swedish fish this morning before I saw your post. I took Mr. D to urgent care for an ear infection. While waiting for the prescription to be ready, we picked up gummy bears and swedish fish. Oh how I LOVE them. Thanks for the reminder about Dr. Seuss day!

Katrina

Lucky Mom said...

Target had Dr Suess stuff in the Dollar Spot a while ago. I grabbed it all and stored it for this very purpose. My kiddos had Suess socks and pins to wear to school. Plus they had note pads, pens, and stickers! So fun - and all a buck!!!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Lucky Mom-Usually you call me when you see this stuff! What happened?! As always, I bow to your amazingness! Seriously, you are awesome!!
Rebecca of the R&W Gals

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Hey Rebecca, thanks again for these ideas!! I used a few of them for our Dr. Seuss party and blogged about it here http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/03/seuss-extravaganza.html. Your ideas saved me when I was trying to throw this together in a snap!!

Victoria ObSEUSSed said...

These are great Dr. Seuss activities. I love that they are all quick things you can easily do to go along with the books. I'm adding a link to this on my blog where I collect Dr. Seuss ideas. http://www.obseussed.com/p/seuss-sites.html

Craft That Party said...

LOVE your foot book idea and included it in my Dr.Seuss birthday round up today!
http://bugger-dixonline.blogspot.com/2011/03/happy-birthday-dr-seuss.html

Antony Christ said...

It was nice to read your blog. If anyone needs case study help then visit to our website:- Case Study Help . We provide all type of case study assignments for MBA, Nursing, Laws and Engineering students.

You can visit us at the given link:-
MBA Case Study Help
Nursing Case Study Help
Case Study Help Australia
Case Study Writers
Case Study Samples