Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Healthy Heartfelt Lunch and Snack

valentine lunch snackk

Let’s be honest.  We all receive those heart shaped chocolate boxes for Valentines Day.  If you are a crafter, you know you think about saving it.  Now you actually have something you can do with these!

This was lunch for my kids (and will be again on Valentine’s Day).  There are so many healthy red foods out there!  Here is what went into the above lunch:

Babybel Cheese with heart cut out

Cherries

Red Grapes

Cherry Tomatoes

Red Apples

Strawberries cut into hearts

Dessert:  Red Chocolate Covered Heart Shaped Bananas

                   Heart Shaped Brownies with Red Chocolate on top

Other Ideas:

Red Peppers

Raspberries

Watermellon

Pink Grapefruit

Guava

Beets

Pink Meats

Raviolis (or pasta) cooked in red food coloring

Cranberries (dried would work too)

valentine lunch snack

Here is my children’s after school snack (notice my cute heart shaped cups):

Red Grapes

Cherry Tomatoes

Red Applesauce (It’s actually Homemade Red Hots Applesauce!)

 

Every day I’m serving up my children’s afterschool snacks in a different heart shaped container like this one (yes, I may have saved too many of these containers with no idea of what I was going to do with them).  Even if the foods weren’t red or pink this still gives it a little something extra fun!  In the divided containers you can also put things like chips and dip, regular fruit and veggies, crackers, pretzels, goldfish, raisins, etc!  I love this idea.

 

There are so many easy ways to make sweets for Valentine’s Treats.  Heart shape anything makes it super cute, add red food coloring, or dip it in red chocolate.  I’ve done plenty of those things this February.  However, I think these healthy meals and snack are just as fun (well almost)!

 

Rebecca

10 comments:

LollyChops said...

This is the coolest way to resuse a Valentines box ever! I esp love that little gouda! YUMM!

HUGS girls!

Regena said...

really great idea and so pretty too

erika said...

Too cute! I love the idea. I am always saving fun boxes and never know what to do with them.

Sue said...

I love this! It looks just as appealing as the candy version! Thanks for a cute alternative:)

NV said...

What a wonderful idea. This takes the Bento Box lunch to a whole new creative, love-filled level! Fantastic idea!! Can you pack me one, too?? ;)

The Budget Diet said...

So, so clever & a great way to re-purpose those candy boxes!

Clothcat said...

Great way to use up those boxes! I shall be hoping for a heart shaped box of choccies now. Have just picked up a heart shaped sandwich cutter to do the sandwiches for dd's birthday party this weekend. She was almost a valentines baby, but she decided she preferred to turn up on Friday 13th instead!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

THanks everyone! I am actually serving up my kids after school snacks every day in these, just because it's such a hit!

Lolly,
Always love to hear from you! I love the little gouda too!

Clothcat we had two babies in our family born around Valentines as well! So fun!

Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

NV said...

Since your kids love this, they may also like this theme from the Lunchbox Guru for Halloween (I know it is a little late, but I will never remember to share it with in October!) on one of here Muffin-Tin Mondays

http://lunchboxofawesome.blogspot.com/2010/10/muffin-tin-monday-halloween.html

I thought the eggs were so cute!

Anna said...

This is such a cute idea. I love the healthy part of it and the reusing part of it. As a creative person, I am always wondering if I can save something to reuse for fun.