Friday, April 9, 2010

Nana’s Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks

Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 14
Welcome everyone from Craftzine!  I'm so excited to find these blocks on there this morning!!!

Be forewarned…this post may lead to sugar-induced coma!  Too much sweetness overload!  Or make your ovaries ache!
Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 15
Isn’t my Nephew Model just the sweetest thing?!
Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 13
Oh I could seriously eat him up!  sigh.
Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 2
OK back to the real point of this post.  Nana (my Mother) saw these infant blocks at a church event she went to.  They were making them as part of a humanitarian aide thing.
 Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 5
Though, leave it to my Mother to improve on something already too cute!  This heart was her idea.
Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 4
The blocks are made with that counted plastic canvas.  You make up each side with a different shape, then stitch the edges together to form cubes.  There is also a bell hidden inside for extra fun for the kids.
 Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 6
My Mom came home and right away made these blocks for my Nephew’s first Birthday!  They were a huge hit!  My Mom also came up with the idea of doing a numbers, or dice, block.  See, where our crafty genius comes from?  It’s in our genes!  I don’t think I’ll ever be able to say enough about the women in my life and how they teach and inspire me!!
 Stiched Canvas  Infant Block 1
My Mom’s next endeavor with these awesome blocks is a color block.  She is stitching up each side with a different color and then is adding the name of the color to it. 
 Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 7
I had to point this out.  The above block, yeah that’s the back side.  When I work on plastic canvas I don’t concern myself with the backs.  But my Mother’s are as beautiful as her front side!
 Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 8
This is the front side, just for your comparison.
 Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 9
She just wings all of this, no patterns!  Insane, right?  That’s what the pink side above is.  It is her trying out the color names…they are just a test, as my Mom does know the difference between red and pink!
 Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 10
I’m guessing that anyone that is going to do this craft knows how to use plastic canvas.  But for those that don’t here is a close up of how to stitch the side.  You do a diagonal stitch, going up one row  and down the next.
Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 11
Crash course for these blocks:
My Mom’s squares (sides) are 18 holes X18 holes.  So, you first cut your 6 squares (sides).  Next you start stitching your first row.  Notice the block with the white yarn?  That is how you start the square (side), by sewing your end right into the block.  So as you stitch you are wrapping the yarn around the end, which holds the end in as well as leaves a nice finished end that you don’t even see.  Next, is the orange yarn where you just keep stitching up one row and down the next.  And above the orange are all the other colors that are finished and waiting to be stitched together at their edges/corners.
 Stitched Canvas Infant Blocks 12  
One last cuteness picture!  Can you stand all those baby parts?!  Goodness, I can’t. 

Don't forget to join our linky party with your fantastic craftiness or DIY-ness!
Rebecca

PS Thank you, Nana, for making these adorable blocks and inspiring me as always!!



We are joining in the fun at the following Linky Parties;  Remodelaholic, Blue Cricket Design, Thrifty Thursday,   , somewhat simple, Trendy Treehouse, Feature Yourself Friday, Life As Lori, Treasures For Tots,  KojoDesigns, Flaunt It Friday, Finding Fabulous, It's Fun To Craft, Tatertots and Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, Making the World Cuter,  Keeping It Simple, Between Naps On The Porch, The DIY Showoff,

16 comments:

Myrnie said...

Oh, I LOVE these! I have a large set from a wonderful woman in our last congregation. She was a shut-in and spent most of her time making things to send to the Bishop's Storehouse. She made up her own patterns- children, letters, numbers, and I think some animals too but my memory is fuzzy on that part, I've had these packed up for a few months.

Angela Brian said...

Another Friday Follower! I love finding great blogs just like yours! I hope you can check me out:
greensubmarinediydesign.blogspot.com! Can't wait to see what you post next!

Ang

Unknown said...

These are too cool. I love your blog. I just added your button to my blog.

http://unforgettablechildhood.com

Twee Poppets said...

Stopping by from Follow Me Friday at Trendy Treehouse. I'm following you now! Hope you'll have a chance to follow me, too. :)

http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com


Those blocks are cute - but not as cute as the baby! :D

Lori said...

Yes, these are way to cute!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday! Please join me next week for another great party!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Very cute blocks! Thanks for linking them up! I will feature them when I wrap the party up on Friday!

XOOX
Jen

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

so cute and sweet! ...and special, too, that "Nana" made them. I'm stopping by from Fun to Craft. Please accept my invitation to drop in my place. I have become a follower and hope you'll do the same. until later...

Allison Shops said...

How nice of Nana to make the blocks. Very cute. Stopping by from BNOTP.

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments and/or linking or featuring this post. It's funny that I'm more in love with these blocks, because my Mom made them!
Rebecca of the R&W Gals

Blondie's Journal said...

How sweet these are! And so colorful. I think I might actually give this a try for my little nephew. They look so soft!

Thanks! Happy Met Monday!

xoxo
Janie

Sew Can Do said...

So cute and classic looking. Another item to add to my crafting to-do list!

Kaysi said...

Those are awesome!! What a great idea!

Stacey said...

These are so cute and colorful. How fun for kiddos too! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, what a great idea! Big thanks to your Nana for sharing. I'll be linking.

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Beautiful blocks and what a precious bub. Love your blog. I host Tot Tuesdays every week and would love it if you would stop by and link up. I’m also hosting a giveaway at the moment you might be interested in. Have a great week!

http://delicious-ambiguity-nennyk.blogspot.com/

MagliaMo' said...

Very nice your blocks!
Here in Italy working with plastic canvas is almost unknown cause we have to order this type of canvas by mail...but I was able to become an addicted embroidery with it nevertheless..:-))
I'd be happy if you will look at my blog and to my blocks..magliamozone@blogspot.com.
Have a nice day!