Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Crochet a Pumpkin!

This is something that our Mom has done for us for years and years! She said she learned it from our paternal Grandmother. It isn’t Halloween without her pumpkins.
Adorable, right?
crochet a pumpkin
Some years she puts felt faces on them and some years she doesn’t. Typically they are filled with Halloween Salt Water Taffy which we have to hunt down because they are not in every store.
This pumpkin is quick to whip up and a great way to share a little treat. Fill them with candy, or just stuff them and use them for decoration.
Mom makes everything in her own way. She just does it. She never stops to think how she does it, she just does it. Getting directions out of her is hard because it all just seems so natural to her. Today I sat her down and watched her make one. I wrote out the instructions the best I could.
Mom making the pumplin
I love my Mom’s hands! I love everything about her too;)
Crochet your pumpkin!
Chain 3, slip stitch in 1st chain (to form a loop), chain 1
15 double crochet in center ring, slip stitch in the first one, chain 2
2 double crochets in each all the way around, slip stitch, chain 2 do this for 5 rows, slip stitch to end and leave a long tail.
For the lid it starts the same way:
ch 3, sl st in 1st ch to make a loop, ch 2
15 dbl crochet in the hole, sl st in the 1st ch
2 dbl crochet in each all the way around, sl st to end.
Green stem
Ch 6, single crochet in each, sl st to end.
To assemble, poke the loose ends of the green stem into the hole of the lid. With a darning needle (a really big needle that works great with yarn), tie and tuck the ends in.
Still with a darning needle and using the tail you left when you finished the pumpkin, whip stitch the lid and the pumpkin together. Hide the ends.
Mom uses a G hook. If you want this to be a different size, you could easily use a different size hook.
Let me know if you have any questions. I know my write up is a little rusty, but it is really pretty straight forward;)
Anjeanette
We are linking to the following amazing parties, Blue Cricket Design,

10 comments:

southerninspiration said...

hmmmm, greek to me, but cute!!!

Suzanne

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I have at least 3 of those little pumpkins in my Halloween stash. Love them!

Good Job with getting mom to sit down and show you one of her patterns.

Katrina

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

CUTE.. but boo I can't crochet! I am going to see if my sister will make me some!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Cute! I am adding this to the pumpkin round-up on somedaycrafts.blogpsot.com

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Anjeannette! Now to ME, this is perfect English, and it is so-ooo CUTE! I'll give this one a try! Thanks to sharing the pattern, and I'll let you know if I get one done! ~tina

Renee•Candy Stick Lane said...

OH I CANT WAIT TO MAKE ONE! YAY!!!

Regina said...

what cute little hats! I work at a hospital and we are trying to make pumpkin hats for all the babies born on Halloween. I can't get anyone to crochet hats, so we will be sewing some.

Love all the Halloween stuff you have! Halloween is my favorite. I guess I'd better get started for this year!

Shannon said...

oh...I don't crochet very well but want to make them!!! I wonder if I can find someone to help me. Thanks!

Tony said...

thats so cute!

Kimra
http://crafty-cove.blogspot.com

Karie said...

Very cute. Thanks for sharing the directions.