Monday, July 27, 2009

First Day of School Boo Hoo Breakfast Tradition


Our Grandmother is an amazing woman. From what I understand, her mother was just as amazing. Grandma has told us how on the first day of school, she would send her 4 boys to school. After she dropped them off, she would fly right to her Mother's house for some love and support. Her Mother would have a wonderful breakfast all cooked up. Grandma's sister would end up at their Mother's house too after she dropped her boys off at school. Their Mother knew they would be upset and in need of a shoulder to cry on or someone to laugh with. And she was always ready with her love and an amazing meal.

Two years ago when my oldest son was going into kindergarten, Rebecca had just moved back to Arizona. I invited Rebecca and our older sister as well as our Mother over for breakfast. We all dropped our kids off at school and ended up at my house, where I had prepared a nice breakfast. We sat around the table and laughed and cried. We talked about what it was like at drop off and how our children did (and how we did). It was a wonderful way to spend the morning.

Last year, both my sisters had to work so they couldn't come over for breakfast. But I did gather with a few of my friends at a local coffee shop for some shoulder crying and yummy treats. We talked about how our children did and how we did.

This is totally something I want to continue. I think as women and mothers, we need to support each other. I had a little one crying in my lap last year so there wasn't much boo-hooing from me. But this year, I'm not sure. I would love to be surrounded by women I care about and help support them on their day too.

Anjeanette

7 comments:

Tab said...

That's so sweet. We do something similar around here. We always would go to the local coffee shop after we dropped off the kids. Many of the other moms, that I now call friends have made this a tradition too. Unfortunately our only coffee shop/restaurant for breakfast is now closed. So I don't know what to do when school starts. It was always super informal before, maybe I'll have to invite some moms over to my house instead.

Amy said...

Anjeanette,

It's great to see this picture of the four of you!

I love traditions and enjoy hearing yours!

Amy said...

My neighborhood moms used to do this the morning of the first day of school too. It got so popular that we now have a muffin/coffee/juice thing at our school. We call it Tears and Cheers and the PTA has cute kleenex packets for the moms (and a few dads) that has a cute little saying about little hands in big hands on it. It makes it nice that the parents can go into our community room at school after that firs(hard, dreadful tear filled) drop off and not have to abruptly leave the school. They get to socialize with other moms who are experiencing the same thing. My baby goes to kindergarten this year too!! :-)

Garette said...

I think this is a super great idea, I work in a school and will definitely be mentioning doing a Tears and Cheers type thing on the first morning. Thanks for a wonderful idea.

ohAmanda said...

What a great idea! I'm tucking this away...

Des said...

OH, best idea i've read all week!! Thank you!

said...

Our PTA has been holding our 'Boo-Hoo Breakfast' for about 6 or 7 years now for the 1st grade parents.

We set up the cafeteria on the 1st day with all kinds of donated breakfast items and give each parent of the 1st graders a towel (to cry into) with the school logo and "Class of 20XX" with their kids high school graduation date. We hope they use them when those same 1st graders wear their cap and gown 12 years later!