Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine Bonus Idea-Fun with Kids and Conversation Hearts

With my preschool I love doing sorting and graphing activities. Doing these things with food/candy makes it even more fun for the kids. I printed up this page to help the kids sort conversation hearts. Each heart had a different color written on it. The kids had to color each of the hearts based on what color was written on it.
Next the kids each got a pile of conversation hearts. They had to sort the candy onto the paper they had colored. I always have them say the name of the color, each time they do this.
Next, I had printed up pages for each of them to graph their results. They had to color in the squares along the bottom of the graph. Then, they would grab one candy at a time and line them upwards on the graph, by color. I had them count them as they did this. So, for the purple one that is being placed in that picture, they would be saying "4".
Here is one of the graphs that is all filled in with the conversation hearts.
Next we colored in the graph, according to how many hearts each color had. I wrote in the number for each color. We looked at each others graphs and compared them. Who had the most pink hearts? Who had the least green hearts? etc. Finally, they got to eat the hearts! They always love these sorting and graphing lessons!!
Rebecca

Linking to Treasures for Tots.

7 comments:

Lucky Mom said...

YUM. I think I'll keep this idea to do with my son's class next year during their class party. Fun. An educational candy game. What could be better?

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Thank you for sharing at Thursday's Treasures!

Come share again this week!

Marisa said...

Wow! We did the exact same thing in my daughter's kindergarten Valentine's party. It's a great idea!

Unknown said...

Would you share a PDF of this sorting game? Great idea and I'd love to use it at a playgroup I'm hosting in February. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Would you share a PDF of this sorting game? Great idea and I'd love to use it at a playgroup I'm hosting in February. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Is there a link to the coloring graph?

Unknown said...

http://littlegiraffes.com/teaching-ideas/477/valentines-day-activities-lessons-teaching-ideas/
Found a link if anyone needs it