Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day

garden as of april 2011

What is your impact on our Earth? 

-My completely organic garden is one way I am trying to lesson my impact on our beautiful Earth! 

-We also have 2 composts (that I LOVE).

-We believe in Reduce, Reuse, and Recycling.

-We buy our produce from our local Farmers Market now that there is one! (YAY)

 

I thought Earth Day was the perfect day to share the progress of my little garden!  I think those half-ripe strawberries are so pretty!  We’ve eaten about a dozen strawberries so far.  Next are my blueberries!  This is my first year growing blueberries.  Below the blueberries are my potatoes and below that is the broccoli that I let flower!  So pretty.

garden as of april 2011 a

Check out my lovely tomatoes!  I have about 15 tomatoes plants this year.  This is my first year with some of the varieties and I can’t wait to see how they turn out.  We’ve already eaten a handful of the cherry tomatoes.

garden as of april 2011 b

I love the vining plants!  Top left are my watermelon plants!  Those leaves are so cool!  To the right are my cucumbers.  Bottom row are my beans and peas!  Wish I had more room to grow way more of those beauties!  The vines are taller than me now!

garden as of april 2011 c

Top left photo is my basil and some of my sunflowers.  To the right are some of my herbs (cilantro, rosemary, parsley, lavender).  Bottom row are my lettuces.  I love how straight the rows are in the bottom left picture!  And the bottom right shows more of my sunflowers as well as some of my spinach and purple lettuce.

We also are growing 2 varieties of radishes, a few varieties of carrots, cauliflower, green peppers, zuchini, yellow squash, cantaloupe, blackberries, green onions, garlic, lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruit. 

 

I am always amazed at how much I can grow, because I live in Phoenix!  But the heat does deter most of the bugs and animals that would eat my food.  The heat also keeps the weeds at bay! 

 

I’d love to hear what you are doing for Earth Day, and what you do to lower your impact on the Earth!

 

Rebecca

1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow, I'm jealous. I live in Utah and it's still freezing at nights so I can't plant most of my garden until after Mother's Day. I am craving fresh tomatoes so badly! Enjoy that beautiful garden! :)