Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year!

chinese new year lanterns a

Today is the Chinese New Year.  This year is the year of the Rabbit.

chinese new year lanterns b

I love celebrating different country’s or family’s traditions.  It is a fun way to learn about other people, countries, and cultures.  Chinese New Year is fun to me because of the symbolism.

 

First of all prior to the first day of the Chinese New Year, many families clean their homes from top to bottom.  This is to get rid of any bad luck from the last year.  I love this idea!  Along with this you could buy new clothes or cut your hair, which symbolize a fresh start!

 

More symbolism:

Meals with 8 or 9 dishes-lucky numbers

Dumplings-Look like golden nuggets

Oranges-Round shape symbolizes completeness and wholeness

Long Noodles-Long life

chinese new year lanterns d

I hung up the Chinese lanterns that we made, this morning.  Then, my children will each get an orange and a fortune cookie as a snack after school.  We will also be ordering out Chinese food for dinner.

 

There are so many more fun parts to this holiday.  What I do, I have just gathered from information on the internet.  I’d love to know what other people do that celebrate this with their families.

 

Rebecca

1 comment:

Sarah Meitner said...

This is the first year that I celebrated with my family. Like you we made lanterns. I also had trays of oranges and fortune cookies (that I made today). We ate just a basic stir fry, but I introduced my 6 and 4 year old to chopsticks. My daughter is taking hers for show and tell tomorrow. She loved them! They're favorite part though was the red envelope with a dollar inside -- a common tradition. We also decorated with lots of red. Gung hay fat choy!