Monday, April 12, 2010

Autism Awareness Month

As Katrina’s post already reminded everyone, it is Autism Awareness month.  This is something that is very near and dear to our family’s hearts!  So, I wanted to have another discussion about this.  We have had a few posts that are all about why this is near and dear to our hearts, as well as showing things you (we) can do to support Autism research, or just Autism in general.

Put on the Puzzle!  The Autism Awareness Puzzle Ribbon is the most recognized symbol of the autism community in the world.  Autism prevalence is now one in every 110 children in America-that's 13 million families and growing who live with autism today.  Raising autism awareness is an even more imporrtant task now that one in 110 children in the United States are on the autism spectrum.


In Katrina’s post she shows how to make this awesome autism bow!
image

Here is a beautiful Autism Awareness Broach to make!
image
Here is another great autism awareness pin.
  image
Our family joined in on one of the Autism Walks.  Katrina made up these awesome pins for each of the family to wear.  I took those pins and turned them into magnets that I keep on my fridge.  This is shown in the same post as the above puzzle pin.
image
Here is a great post that has gotten a lot of attention.  Katrina wrote it about sensory integration.  She uses these things with her Son, but anyone could benefit from them!
This is a hand fidget
.image

I absolutely love the children in my family!  They are all special and unique.  I have two nephews that have Autism.  That is not who they are, but instead just a part of them.  I am so thankful to have them in my life.  I am also thankful that despite their autism, I can still get loves from them.  What a wonderful thing!  One last thankfulness.  I am thankful that they have Katrina as their Mother.  She is so wonderful with and to them!


Rebecca

1 comment:

Kat said...

Rebecca,

You are sweet. I am grateful that I not only married such a great guy but that is family is too. This family is thick as thieves and nothing ever gets in the way of that, EVER. What happens with one of us happens to us all and that is how we see it. Simple as that. In this family no one gets left behind. It is inspiring to see how all the cousins have reacted to my boys. They treat them just as they would any other friend. It says quite a lot about their parents, grandparents and great grandparents. I am blessed to be part of such a great family. It brings me to tears when I think of how everybody does little things that are helpful to my boys when we visit.

P.S. I am extra grateful that my boys are snugly and loving too!!

Not many of the kids I have met on the spectrum like to be touched let alone hugged.