Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Spiced Pumpkins!

pumpkin o
I love Autumn (though anyone that knows me, knows that Winter is my favorite season)!  I get jonesing (yes, that is a real word…to me!) for Pumpkin Pie Spiced…anything!  So, I looked in my cupboard to see what I could come up with.  This is what I made up….Delicious! 
pumpkin a
I took Puff Pastry, let it thaw, and then cut out Autumn shapes.  The only two Autumn Cookie Cutters I had were pumpkins (in 5 different sizes!) and a leaf (which is what I was really wanting, but that’s for another day’s post).
 pumpkin b
I made a few variations of these.  The first one I made like an apple pie pocket.  Easy peasy, I tell you!  This is a take off of one of my favorite desserts from Anjeanette.  Cut an apple into tiny pieces and put some in the middle of your cut out puff pastry pumpkin.  Then, sprinkle on some brown sugar.  If you are totally naughty (and I was) then, add a drizzle of caramel.  Top with some tiny pats of butter (I’m talking dime size or smaller and totally thin like a dime).
 pumpkin d
Add another Puff Pastry pumpkin on top and seal the edges.  Then, spread a thin egg wash (egg white and tiny bit of water) on the top and sprinkle some more brown sugar on top! 
Cook @400 for about 10 minutes.pumpkin l
Aren’t they nummy looking?
 pumpkin n
Inside shot of the Apple Pie Pockets…just because.
pumpkin f
Other variations:
-Cut cute Jack-O-Lantern face into the Puff Pastry and Bake as is, to be layered later!
-Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the egg wash.
-My Favorite:  Sprinkle Pumpkin Pie Spice on top of the Egg wash.
pumpkinj
OK.
Here’s where it gets even better!  Slice one of these Pumpkin Pie Spice topped Pumpkins in half so you have 2 pumpkins (not 2 halves of pumpkins, if you know what I mean).
Now, let some Vanilla Ice Cream (don’t we all have this on hand?) soften.  Then, stir in more Pumpkin Pie Spice.  Put this mixture into a ziplock baggie and return it back to the freezer to firm it back up a little (as it melts quickly).
Snip the end off of the ziplock baggie and basically frost the bottom half of your Pumpkin Pie Spiced Puff Pastry Pumpkin with this delicious mixture.  Put the top back on the pumpkin.
pumpkin k
Refreeze the whole thing.
Eat
Maybe save some for the kids.  Mine LOVED these!
The very top picture on this post was where I let the ice cream mixture harden a bit more and so I got a thicker layer of it, this was a gooood thing!
pumpkin h
Don’t forget to use your scraps!
 pumpkin i
Use the leftover Puff Pastry scraps to fill in some mini muffin pans.  Then add some apple chunks, brown sugar, caramel (again, only if you are naughty), and pats of butter.  Bake same as directed above.  These are totally quick, easy, cute, and YUMMY bite-sized apple pies! 
Seriously, to die for!
Rebecca
ps 11 uses of parenthesis is NOT overkill.  It’s giving extra tidbits for everyone’s entertainment!

We're joining the fun in some parties:  This Blessed Nest, Under The Table and Dreaming,

11 comments:

Student Entrepreneur said...

YUMMY!!!! I have been thinking of making a peach pie for the hubby and some pumpkin pie for me:)

Fanie.ca said...

This looks sooo good. :-) I'm adding it to my favorites. Thanks! (Oh, and re-tweeting, as well! ^-^)

Melissa said...

Those look super yummy. Are you sure it's phyllo dough and not puff pastry because it looks like puff pastry to me (phyllo is much thinner)?

Thanks for the visual treat!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Melissa thanks for the catch! You are right. I had a box of each in my fridge and just got the name of Phyllo Dough stuck in my head, I guess! ;)

Anne-Marie said...

Those are INSANITY! I love 'em. They look so delicious and absolutely flaky perfect (drool).

Melissa said...

No worries, I had to come back and look at them again. I guess with fall in the air I'm really craving these pumpkins!!

nest of posies said...

oh wow!

looks amazing. i love anything made with cute cookie cuters. how precious. that added caramel sounds heavenly.

thanks so much for linking up with the FALL FESTIVAL! it was a pleasure having you. hope to see you next week!

kellie

Unknown said...

Oh my, those look so yummy.

abbie said...

These look amazing!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Those look sooooo yum. I am definitely going to try this out.

Anonymous said...

I am confused did you use Phyllo or PUFF pastry. You mention both or did you use both?

Thanks, Marcy