Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Using appliqué to fake the look of Orange Peel or Cathedral Windows

finished orange peel

I have been totally obsessed with the look of Folded quilts like Cathedral Window, fabric origami and Orange Peel quilts lately. I have seen lots of wonderful tutorials for the different techniques. But I am always trying to figure out things my way. When I see something, I get crazy obsessed with figuring it out in my head. It is a challenge to me to think of ways I could do it my way. I think I even made mention to my obsession with it in one of my posts not too long ago.

I started with this basic Cathedral Window pattern. You can make it any size you want, but mine were 3” squares for this project.

orange peel template

I took some awesome Michael Miller Funky Christmas fabric and ironed on some fusible webbing to the back of it. Then I cut that fabric into 3 inch squares. On each square, I traced the template and cut out the shape. I was careful not to mess up either the center shape or the curved outside shapes because they are both used.

I ironed down one of the center shapes first. Actually *press* would be a better way to say it. You really want to be careful not moving the iron around when you are pressing appliqué on.

After the first center shape was pressed into place, I carefully arranged the outside curved shapes. I used the backing from the center shape to line up the outside shapes. I also used a ruler to make sure the whole thing remains lined up nicely. Press the outside shapes into place. I also made sure that the outside shapes were in the correct place as far as the printed pattern goes. You want it to look as though it is a real Cathedral Window, or Orange Peel with fabric folded.

1 use a ruler to line up your appliques

Then you just work your way out. Line up a row of the inside shapes and another line of the outside shapes.

2 add rows

And some more…

3 more rows

Until you have enough to make something out of it.

Orange Peel

Yes, it is still time consuming. But I just thought it would be a fun way to do it.

I would love to see if you make something using this. I have so many ideas floating around in my head about what I'm going to make with this.

Anjeanette

~~~

Katrina here,

Anjeanette,

I have to say that I love this for many reasons. First of all you took that great designer fabric and paired it with the perfect solid fabric. Seriously people, she has great taste in fabrics. Second because you used the solid fabric as the background you were able to take your fat quarter of the designer fabric and create a pattern that covers 1/2 a yard of the solid and still have some designer fabric left over! What a great way to stretch your almighty dollar! I bow down to you! You have taken something that I would have looked at and loved but never would have attempted to make it myself. You have made this complex pattern (that isn't for beginners) and made it easy for beginners. I mean really, if you want a big quilt made with this pattern then all you have to do is start with the right size background fabric and iron on your pattern. Sandwich the whole thing like you do with a regular patch work quilt and then sew over your pattern to quilt it. Hmmmmm.

I can't wait till you post your finished items!! Hint Hint!! The suspense is killing me!!

XOXOXO

2 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I love that fabric combo too, very pretty! This is really unique, I've never seen anyone do this before! Thanks so much for the fun idea, I'll be linking.

kw said...

I am so going to try cutting this on my Cricut!!! Not only can I do this with fabric....I am thinking vinyl, too! YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!

I would love a Handmade Christmas Blog Carnival...just like the Halloween one but better! And it should start Nov. 1st!