Sunday, October 11, 2009

How to make your Jack-O-Lanterns last

[IMG_2153.jpg]

This is my son’s Jack-O-Lantern from last year. We carved our pumpkins a day before Halloween last year. I tried a trick I had heard about to keep the pumpkin from shriveling up. I took this picture on November 7th. That is right our Jack-O-Lanterns lasted from October 30th till November 7th!

What did we do? I smeared white petroleum jelly all over the cut edges. I didn’t coat the entire inside just the cuts we made. At the point that I took this picture our pumpkin had white fluffy mold growing on the inside so you wouldn’t want to cut it a full week before Halloween but this method will certainly make this less of a last minute event.

Happy Halloween!

Katrina

Anjeanette here. I know this may be no big deal to those of you in much cooler areas. But here in Arizona, our Jack-o-lanterns have very short life times (a day or two is all). I'm totally doing this with our Jack o lanterns this year. Thanks Katrina!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Wow, girls! Hang in there! Sounds like you all need some time to heal and recover.

My cousin has a really fun crafty blog www.thecreativecrate.blogspot.com . She shares some great stuff she's made as well as links to other sites that she's found.

Looking forward to the gift ideas from you girls. My brain is all awhirl with ideas for Christmas. . .to bad I don't have those dang Halloween costumes done yet!!!

Hope life settles down for all of you soon. Thanks for the reminder that we all need to take time out for ourselves.

Beansieleigh said...

I have heard this before, but I can vouch, it DOES help! As for the temperatures around HERE?.. We are now touching 20 and 30-degree temps at night already!! UGH!!! Very cold morning here today!.. Anyways, I STILL have not picked up a pumpkin yet, so I'm sure I should get one soon before they are gone! I have a tendency to wait too long, then I'm racing all over town trying to find one at all, from whatever SOMEBODY has LEFT! (0; Hope you had a wondeful weekend! ~tina

mommabear said...

I was so confused when I first read this post...how on earth do your pumpkins only last a few days...ahhh, the Arizona heat...now I get it! Here in Illinois our pumpkins can be carved in the beginning of Oct and last the whole month...what a difference the freezing temps make, bleh!