Friday, August 28, 2009

Homework Station

homework station

My kids do their homework at the kitchen table, so that I can help them. It seems like we are always having to run into either the playroom or my craft room to grab something for homework. I have wanted to make a homework station to corral all of the necessities that they might need, so here it is.

homework station 1

Lately we keep getting these drink holders from the drive-thru. I had used one of them for the 4th of July and decorated it with my scrapbook paper. It was on the table the morning of the holiday and it stored all the goodies they got that day. I love reusing something that would have otherwise been thrown away! Plus, it was quite convenient.

homework station 2

So, now that we don’t need it for the 4th of July, I thought I’d repurpose it again. This was a drink holder for 4 drinks. For my homework station I took out one divider (which I’m pointing to…or at least my finger is pointing to) in the above picture. This is to make room for a notebook of paper, which is a must have for my kids’ homework. I also removed the old paper.

homework station 3

I gathered all the supplies I thought I would want to fill it with, as well as the supplies necessary for decorating it all.

homework station 4

Mmmm, I love my glitter paper! I covered a composition notebook, and 3 different sized tin cans in coordinating glitter paper. I added matching vinyl decorations to my 3 hole punch, stapler, and pencil sharpener. I love these supplies now!

homework station 5

Here’s the whole station together. I added the vinyl word to help the kids understand what this is for. I do not want them using these for anything other than homework, otherwise it will defeat the purpose as things will get ruined, or at the very least they will end up elsewhere in the house! Good luck with your school routines.

Rebecca

26 comments:

Pauline said...

That is so awsome! My kids do their homework in the dining room and I have the same problem. They are always looking for pencils or papers or crayon. I will have to do make this for them. Very creative. Thanks for sharing.

Misty @Creative Itch said...

What a fabulous idea!! This would work perfectly for my family...thanks for sharing!

greetingarts said...

Our homework yesterday was to create a homework station just like this (in a box) and draw a picture of it for the teacher. I love the little touches you included, like decorating the stapler. Much more fun to do homework with stuff like that!

CitricSugar said...

I so NEED one of these - my "sewing room" is a series of piles and baskets that shift around the house right now. (It's so very very sad..) Been popping by every now and then but too shy to comment until today... Thanks for stopping by mine this morning - it was a lovely boost! ~Carly

twinkle teaches said...

Very cool! I love how it all flows together with the color on the scrapbook paper. You gals make homework fun!
:) tina

Ashley said...

That is a great idea. I am actually the messiest person in the world (fact) so maybe I should make one of these for myself.

Thank you for your kind comments on my wedding, I loved making everything it was so much more special that way, thank goodness for my mum though!

ONe PiNK FiSH said...

This is fantastic! I would love to attempt this. I just don't think mine would turn out quite the same.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great project. Everything looks so nice!

House Queen said...

Absolutely brilliant!!!

Nadia said...

love this!! thanks for sharing, great idea

Land family said...

I'm not good at figuring stuff out. How did you close it up? I assume there is a bottom to it?

It's lovely, makes doing homework look inviting! You are very talented!

My Trendy Tykes said...

I love your homework station! I need to start saving the drink containers now.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your last comment cracked me up. I followed up in the comments section.

Xazmin said...

Love it! I want to make one...but we always get those dumbe cardboard cup holders that are like a tray, and no handle...you know?

Spookygirl said...

I LOVE this idea, it will work perfect to hold my daughters daily homeschool supplies in one place!

Anyone know off the top of their heads where to get one of those drink holders? I am so used to saying no holder please, that I can't reemember, LOL!! I don't wanna end up with a bunch of the flat kind trying to find one of these ;)

Kelli said...

I am trying to put some similar together for my first grader. I think it will be so nice for her to have all she needs in one place. I love your drink carrier idea.

Crafty Mom said...

I love this! I'm always looking at the drink holders, thinking "what can I make with this?" I love this idea!

Ann said...

This is such a cute idea! Can't wait to try it.

Heather said...

Very cute! I'm a big believer in making everyday things pretty. Now, what are those little green pencil toppers for? Look like initials of each child - to mark "their" pencil? Did you make them out of felt?

Layna Torg said...

Can you make a kit and send it to me?? lol I am not creative...

kim west said...

featured this today

kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

CountessLaurie said...

What restaurant gives out these holders? I am in Massachusetts and I have not seen these.

Thanks!! I love this. It's awesome.

A Scrap of Time said...

I love this! What a great way to keep everything in one place, and organized! I featured it on my blog at ascrapoftime.blogspot.com

Skylar Murphy said...

Sonic has drink holders like that . when you order just ask for one and they will bring it =D

Skylar Murphy said...

Sonic has cup holders like that. Just ask when you order and they will bring it out =D

alesha99 said...

Awesome :D I made mine from a shoe box and cut the lid up to use as the separators. Works awesomely I'm always trying to keep my stuff together and not loose it.

alesha99 said...

Awesome :D I made mine from a shoe box and cut the lid up to use as the separators. Works awesomely I'm always trying to keep my stuff together and not loose it.