Friday, April 24, 2009

World Explorer Party theme

This year my 7 year old decided he wanted his Birthday Party Theme to be World Explorer. Those two words had to inspire a whole party theme. What is a World Explorer party? A party were we explore the world of course! For my son, it means a safari adventure with animals, a dinosaur dig, the earth for a pinata and other explorer items. You could really spend a lot of time and money on this theme. We stuck with safari animals, a dinosaur dig with fossil making, and a pinata made to look like the earth. I could think of a million other things you could fit into this party if only you had more than just a few hours for the party and unlimited funds. Items like outback hats, binoculars (we made the picture from the invitations smaller and taped them onto the binoculars, magnifying glasses, field journals and pictures to cut out and paste in them are just a few I can name off the top of my head.


I asked him what kind of cake he wanted. I always ask for their input and involve them in some of the details of the planning. He said a "Zebra cake." By this he does not mean a zebra drawn on the cake, NO, he means a zebra shaped cake 3D. He was even very specific on the pose of the zebra. If I were my sister, who makes shaped cakes for a living, it would probably be no problem. I make my son's cakes because they have to be gluten and dairy free. Over the years this has meant that my cakes are becoming more elaborate. I don't leave the cake in the pan and frost it. I have always tried to mimic a sheet cake you get from the bakery and more recently have done 3D cakes. I always start by doing an on line search on what other's have done for specific theme cakes. No big surprise to find that the zebra cakes people are making are with a zebra pan. I don't want to own a pan that I am only going to use once. Plus the zebra was all round and soft for a toddler age party and not a 7 year old who would love to have the real thing. In my search I found that there is a type of cake called a Zebra cake. It is a vanilla cake with chocolate added to half of the mix. In the end I talked my son into letting me do a safari themed cake with some zebras on top of the cake. Which ended up with a very small herd and other animals that you would find in Africa.

At first this is all he wanted on his cake. He didn't want me to add any more animals. In the end we added two trees (like the kind you buy for dioramas), a small elephant family drinking from the pond, a lion over by the rocks, two more zebras standing in a group (like they were having a conversation) and a rhino to the right of the zebra on the cake board. At the time I didn't have a grass tip, so I used a fine writing tip to make the grass clumps. I used a sifter to powder then cake with coco powder to make the ground less white. This cake sort of took on a life of it's own. It was a complete work in progress. Meaning, I covered the sheet cake in white because I planned to pipe black jell over it to draw a zebra. At the last minute I asked my son, if I could just use one of his zebra's and place it on top. He liked that idea, but just one. I couldn't leave it as a cake with one lonely zebra! So I got creative. I have lots of food coloring jell from previous birthday's stocked up. I got to mixing. I had the blue sparkle gel from the moat I made for a previous cake. I added the lake and then a stream. You can't have a stream that goes to no where so I made a water fall. I had to end the water fall some how so I made rocks (no they are not piles of poop!;)

Here you can see the hippo checking out the water. I wish I had taken a better picture of the finished cake. At the time I wasn't doing much blogging and only had enough time to take a quick shot of it before the kids got to it. It really did look great with the trees, and extra animals.

I made an Earth pinata and filled it with earth themed items. Which included punch balloons decorated to look like the earth, plastic Slinkys that also had the earth theme, growing bugs, safari animal finger puppets and of course candy.



The big thing for our guest was the fossil making. Along with that we had small toy dinosaurs buried in our sand box. Here is my tutorial on how to make your own fossils.


Around the yard we had toy animals in various hiding places. So the kids could go on a "safari" to find the animals and write about them in their field journals. The kids were having so much fun just playing on the swing set and making the fossils that the "safari" didn't happen as an organized event. I plan my parties so that if the kids don't want to do an activity, they don't have to. My oldest gets overwhelmed just with having so many people all in one place. So he often does not participate in any of the organized activities other than cake and presents. For him it is just one big play date and for the most part that is what our parties are. I give him the option, I tell him what we are doing and when it is happening and if he wants he can join in. He is great, he plays with his friends and when they are doing an activity he goes off to a quiet room to decompress until the next activity. He has always done this and little by little he has been joining the fun more and more.


Another thing I did was get poppers. You know those little fire works that look like a jug and you pull a string. Streamers and confetti pop out. My son LOVES them, so I had a few packs for the kids. You would have thought I was handing out $100 bills! I couldn't pass them out fast enough. I had hands sticking out in front of me for more. I couldn't keep it straight to try to make sure that every one got to do their fair share. Even better, they quickly picked up all the streamers to stuff in their pockets. We had only the cardboard ends to pick up when all was said and done.

How to make an Earth pinata:


1: I used Elmer's glue mixed with water. Cut some news paper into 1 inch by 5inch strips. White copy paper also cut into 1 inch by 5 inch strips. A piece of packing tape. A punch balloon, because they are nice and round. Blue tissue paper, clear package wrap and blue paint. Get an map (either print one out on line or buy one) and cut out the continents. A tray from the salad I ate for lunch the day before. The bowl is perfect for setting the balloon in while doing the papier mache. I used the lid as a plate to hold my water and glue mixture. (I threw both away when I was done)



2: Inflate the balloon to the size you want your pinata to be. Then tape down the end that you just tied. That way you won't have a bump there. Another tip is to spray the balloon with non-stick spray before adding your papier mache. This will help it to release from the balloon when you remove the balloon.

3: Over lap your layers of paper. Be sure to go in all directions to make your pinata more sturdy. I made the mistake of not over lapping enough on the first layer and had to repair where the papier mache ripped when it was drying. I left the top where the rubber band attaches to the punch balloon open for two reason. First is that I needed an opening so I could pop the balloon when we were done. Second, I used the rubber band to hang the pinata up to dry between layers. I suggest you do 3 layers of news paper. (if this is for older kids, then I would do 4 layers here)









4: For the 4th layer (or 5th depending on who you are making this for), use white copy paper. This will cover the news print and make it easier to decorate. This way you won't have news print showing through your finished project.











5: Paint your pinata a similar color to the tissue paper you are going to decorate it with. That way if you have a spot that doesn't get covered with tissue, it won't be so noticeable.










6: Start at the bottom. You don't have to start at the very bottom because Antarctica will cover the very bottom. Here you can see I was just cutting rectangles of blue tissue and the clear plastic. The plastic is to give the blue more of a water look to it. It moves in the wind. I was using a glue dabber. At some point I had a moment where I thought "Why am I doing this piece by piece? I should be cutting strips and then cutting part way through to make a fringe strip!" With the clear plastic you have to use shorter strips because it does not mold and bend the way tissue paper does. The neat thing about the individual pieces is that when the kids hit it, even the littlest ones, some of them would fly off. So even a hit that didn't appear to dent the pinata had a visual effect of seeing something fly off of it.





7: After you have covered your pinata with fringe. Cut out your map. I ended up using google world to print out my map. I printed out several pages, each with a full view of the continents. We cut them out and then ran them through my xyron sticker maker. I used the on line map to help me mostly get the placement right. (mostly)






We usually have our parties at home. I don't do a ton of decorations (other than the usual Happy Birthday banner and may be a bunch of balloons), but I do accessorize. I usually get 1 set of napkins and plates that match the theme and the rest are colors that match the theme. I have found that when I purchased cups and enough plates and napkins with the printed these for everybody. They usually find the plain plates and cups and napkins and I am left with themed paper ware that I don't know what to do with. I only just got rid of the "Thomas the Train" cups from 5 years ago. I didn't buy that many, they have just been sitting up in the cabinet.

Most of my effort is in planning the cake, goodie bags that have items that match the theme (one time the kids had to do a treasure hunt with clues on where to find each of the items), and items like the pinata.

What are your favorite party themes? What is the coolest thing you have seen at a party (for adults or kids)?


I didn't think to get this up before Earth day. How cool would it be to have a World Explorer party in honor of Earth Day? If you see an opportunity to have a party, you should always take it. Life is too short not to enjoy it. What are the everyday things you celebrate?

Did we ever tell you about the red plate? I am sure Rebecca has mentioned it. In this family we all have a red plate given to use by my Mother-in-Law. The idea is that one some one has something special happen to them or they do something special, they get to have the red plate at dinner to honor them. It is one small way to celebrate the every day events that deserve to be recognized.

Katrina

60 comments:

Greeting Card Printing said...

A World Explorer themed party sounds fantastic! I love the idea of going around the world and doing all kinds of stuff like going a=on a safari and the dinosaur dig. The fossil making activity sounds really cool!

atelierlemlem said...

Oh, your partie is a great inspiration to me (mum of four children). I also introduced a lot of special birthday-traditions into our own little family over the years. We also do a pinjata (very special in the Netherlands!). But I make the glue for a pinjata just with flower and water. It becomes beautiful hard and because you stick paper on it, it works great. (you can see it on my blog).But no good idea for a painted pinjata, I think, as the remains of the glue are a bit 'dusty' from the flower. Another tradition is a decorated chair. I recently made a chaircover from an old sheet with donald duck on it and decorated a bit. I can easily fit it over the chair and add some baloons or a blowup number at it. Then we have the guirlandes at the ceiling and plastic banners in the garden (it rains a lot at birthdays over here five of us are having their birthday in the winter..). The presents are handed at breakfast. But...you have to find them! I write down some information on a note. All notes go into a basket and the birthday child must grab one out and hunt for his or her gift! Very exicting (at six o'clock in the morning, when we all have to go to school or work...).
My older children did not want a pinjata this year, but the youngest ones loovvee it. Even the neighbourchildren and children of our family and friends are so exidet to find a pinjata at our home!
Greatings from mama lieveheersbeestje.

Drew Watts said...

Thanks for sharing your service details! Your post really helped me in finding best destination event space Chicago for my upcoming party. You know I am also going to have a unique theme for my party. I am super excited for the day.

Ethan Smith said...

Nice post thanks for sharing, as you know custom boxes are trend now i was searching for custom candy boxes and i found a website they are providing high quality on wholesale with free shipment worldwide. To Get Your's .

Ethan Mathews said...

I found the best Telenor Internet Packages 2020 here along with the most useful Telenor advance balance check

Commercial Cleaning Service said...


Cleaning service is used to maintain the healthy environment. Clean your home/office with our
best commercial cleaning services. Services includes:
Home cleaning services
Office cleaning services
End of lease cleaning services
Carpet cleaning services

Earn Online With Apps said...

Many law firm working in the country but no all have the experienced some of them working for a couple of month and some couple of years Achkar Law firm is working from a couple of years and they have experienced lawyers,They specially working on the Constructive Dismissal.

carrepairingservice said...

I found the Turbomax. It is the best auto repair shop in melbourne. It provides best auto repair services in melbourne that inlcudes:
Brakes Services
Oil&lube Services
Muflers&Exuast Services
Tires&Alignment Services
Steering&Suspension Services
Transmission Services
Engine&Tuneup Services
Heating&Cooling Services

lawyers for employers said...

Looking for best lawyers in Canada?
Achkarlaw has the best employment lawyers in Canada. It provides:
Employees lawyers
lawyers for Employers
labour lawyers
Human right lawyers
disability lawyers

NEWSNBLOGS said...

I found this blog post very informative. I would like to say thanks to the author of this post. Thank for sharing this informative post. Keep sharing!
If you are looking for gaming chair in Pakistan than must see this Buy Best Gaming Chair in Pakistan

Shehzad blog said...

nice information i like it
i also found these inormative content

jazz sim lagao offer
zong sim lagao offer
telenor sim lagao offer
ufone sim lagao offer

Digital agency said...

Today era everyone wants to do SEO and digital marketing of there website and
digital marketing of there products so many firms working on it to rank up on search
engines like that a firm of Digital Marketing Agency
is working and provide good services with good results.

thomasjack said...

Amazing designing post I like it very much thanks for informative post to keep it up.
embossed pillow boxes
apparel boxes with logo

Custom Boxes World UK said...

Information is written very efficiently. It will be beneficial to anyone who uses it, including me. Keep up the good work.
Please read the post here:
https://www.customboxesworld.co.uk/product/hair-extension-boxes-uk/

Keira Henry said...

As the admin of this website is working, no hesitation very rapidly it will be well-known, due to its feature contents. candle packaging wholesale

Rachelle Haley said...

I have read your article; it is very instructive and valuable to me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.
Cardboard Boxes

Olivia said...

I appreciate your post thanks for sharing the information.
bulk custom made Window Boxes
best Custom Wrap Packaging Boxes
custom packaging solutions
affordable custom Pencil Boxes
affordable Perfume Boxes

Olive Starc said...

Great job! Your article is so informative. I really like it.
please read this

CUSTOM PRINTED E LIQUID BOXES

Aeryn Watts said...

I really impressed by your post. Thanks for sharing!!
Bath Bomb Boxes

Custom Boxes World USA said...

Custom Boxes World offers capable boxes benefits by furnishing them with new designs in top-quality bath bomb boxes to cook.Uniquely shaped bath bomb box

Ellyse Starc said...


Great Job! Informative blog
sofa

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noah liam said...

I like your bold viewpoints on this subject. I can tell you have a passion for writing. Your writing style is both informational and persuasive in this article. CBD Oil Packaging

unknow said...

Very interesting. The more I read the more I think there is such a lot I haven't explored till now. I like your endeavors. Keep posting.
Visit my blog: Fun Breakfast Ideas You Must Try At Least Once

Legend said...

Best compound bow for hunting It’s aerospace-inspired carbon riser makes for a durable build, and the synchronized binary cams take it to new heights. Drilling down on specs, this bow is 31 inches axle to axle, weighs 3.3 pounds, and clocks in at 335 fps (IBO). It offers a 6.625-inch brace height, 25.5-30.5-inch draw length range, and 50-, 60-, or 70-pound peak draw weights.Best compound bow for beginners

Custom Boxes World UK said...

These minimal effort candle packaging boxes arrangements are likewise an incredible method to guarantee you get your message out to the general population. Market your candles adequately without running over your financial plan with these candle wraps. Our experts are ready to assist you as per your requirements. Please fill contact us / custom quotation form and find on live chat. Candle Wrap Packaging Boxes

Harry said...

Halcon Packaging has unfolded a new chapter for custom boxes.
Our multiple colors digital & offset printing services let
you have great quality personalized boxes
eyelash packaging boxes

khadim hussain said...

Very good article thnx for sharing energetic information. i really appreciate u.U work more to promte website.
keep it,blog Upload on regularly. I read the blog on a daily base.

indirect marketing

Sleek boxes said...

Great blog i like it very much keep up the good work.
colourful Lip Balm boxes
custom Kraft packaging

thequantumprint said...

You have picked an outlandish thought and made it feasible for the normal individual to see and accept. Keep doing awesome, anticipate substantially more from your psyche and hand. We can Manufacture reed diffuser box with window with Window Custom Size. Call us for More Ideas and Designs. If you are looking for high-quality, attractive, and unique Reed Diffuser Packaging Boxes for your product packing, you need to connect with the Sky Group of Companies that is the London based firm.

Paperpk.info said...

You Can Check My Offer
ufone SIm lagao offer
ufone SIm lagao offer

Paperpk.info said...

Wow You Can Check Also
Zong Sim Lagao Offer 2021

Jazz Sim Lagao Offer Code 2021

Telenor Sim Lagao offer 2021

Ufone Sim Lagao Offer

Paperpk Jobs in Pakistan

FBR Jobs

Wapda Jobs 2021

custom printed corrugated boxes said...

Great blog I like it very much keep up the good work.
custom sized CBD Boxes
customized CBD Boxes in USA

Custom Boxes World UK said...

Custom Boxes is the leading packaging for the business well known for making essential oil cases. We can impeccably create a crate with the required size and shape to fit the container pleasantly in it. Essential Oil Packaging Boxes UK

Surveyvillablog said...

Being one of the most trusted JCPenney service providers , We have landed in the ground to serve you with extraordinary upshots. We have been serving entire happily for many years, and over time we have learned how to win the hearts of our dedicated and esteemed clients.

Surveyvillablog said...

Being one of the most trusted McDonald Survey service providers , We have landed in the ground to serve you with extraordinary upshots. We have been serving entire happily for many years, and over time we have learned how to win the hearts of our dedicated and esteemed clients.

Surveyvillablog said...

Being one of the most trusted McDonald Survey service providers, we have landed in the ground to serve you with extraordinary upshots. We have been serving entire happily for many years, and over time we have learned how to win the hearts of our dedicated and esteemed clients.

alexander rachele said...


This blog is very informative. Custom Packaging can be a long excited process but it can be made easier by following the tips that you have mentioned above. Thanks for sharing such important and useful information. Keep it up.
visit mentioned website for printing and packaging services.
Custom candle boxes

Funny Video said...

whatsapp group links pakistan

Jazz Sim Lagao Offer

admin said...

Nice Writting Skill Love to Read Your Blog!
If You are a Telenor User Diffinately you will Need This > >> JTelenor Advance balance code

Line Heights said...

Line Heights is the best Best Lead Generation Company in Bristol , with experienced employ. We'll help you boost your business and get more clients.

eBridge said...

eBridge provides website design and development. We have competent teams and experienced developers. We provide ecommerce website development in mern stack as well as other platforms.

Custom Popcorn Boxes said...

Nice post .Custom Popcorn Boxes provides custom and cost-efficient Popcorn boxes for all kinds of personal and professional requirements

Next Custom Boxes said...

I appreciate your post. thanks for sharing the information with us . we as food packaging suppliers provide food packaging solutions for all food items

Aliza sultan said...

I found this blog post very informative. Submit APPS Review I would like to say thanks to the author of this post. Thank for sharing this informative post. Keep sharing!

James said...

Thanks for sharing helpful information! Visit : Cryptocurrency write for us
Digital marketing write for us
Technology write for us

amon said...

this page is very helpfull for me. tricky packages is best telecom internet packages blog

Hina Riaz said...

Your Website Content is beneficial for us.
You can also check my website
Thank you
PTCL Complaint Online

Classic Custom Boxes said...

Nice Blog, Thanks For Good Shearing information hemp boxes

johns said...

Your blogs are really good and interesting. It is very great and informative. By this he does not mean a zebra drawn on the cake, NO, he means a zebra shaped cake 3D. He was even very specific on the pose of the zebra Bankruptcy lawyer fairfax va. I got a lots of useful information in your blog. Keeps sharing more useful blogs..

tayyab said...

Around the yard we had toy animals in various hiding places. So the kids could go on a "safari" to find the animals and write about them in their field journals.
jazz monthly package

adam said...

You're performing exceptionally, my friend! Your unwavering dedication is truly astonishing. I chanced upon a website that's excelling in every aspect just a few days ago, and I thought of sharing it with you. I'm confident that you can extract valuable insights and advantages from it. LAMTOTO

davidconway said...

I must commend your commendable efforts and express my genuine amazement at the outstanding quality of your work. Nevertheless, I recently came across another website that has been achieving remarkable success as well. I believe it's worth exploring the potential for your website to grow and evolve in a similar fashion. This might entail adopting some of the successful strategies and approaches employed by the other site, which has undeniably made significant progress. By pursuing this avenue, we can aspire to amplify the impact and reach of your website, ensuring it maintains its competitiveness and continues to excel in its field. BMW steering wheels

bigshoto said...

Miami metal roofing Florida

rimjhim said...

Prepaid Card software

Paperpk.info said...

Check this also
https://telenorpackages.com.pk/telenor-sim-lagao-offer/

metropolitan seafood said...


I recently discovered your metropolis steak and seafood staten island website, and I'm genuinely impressed! The layout is user-friendly, and the content is both informative and visually appealing.
It's clear that a lot of thought and effort went into creating this space.

jameshatt said...

You're excelling in your efforts, and your work is both impressive and incredibly beneficial for me. Likewise,
I recently meetwise discovered a Real-time AI Transcription website related to meetwise, and it's proving to be highly effective.
I wanted to share this find with you, hoping that you can also derive benefits from it, just as I have.

evil007 said...

Such an amazing post, I really like it. I also want to tell you about the website which is providing very helpful information about Healthy options at Subway

saeed said...

Such an amazing post, I really like it. I also want to tell you about the website which is providing very helpful information about mosquito grass spray .