Monday, April 27, 2009

Teacher Appreciation Week is May 4th - 8th


Thanks Rebecca and Katrina for holding down the fort while I was down for the count this last week. It was nice not to have to worry about anything but getting better. It was also fun to receive their fun get-wells;)

On with my post...

I send my child off every weekday to have his mind filled and to learn and grow. I miss knowing everything he does in a day, but I'm enjoying every second watching him to learn and grow. My 3 year old is still at home with me every day, but his turn will come.

I can't spend endless money on daily gifts for my son's teacher. I wish I could. What I do have is time and the creativity to make things. That is what I did this last week during my recovery from my ear surgery. I wasn't in so much pain, but I get dizzy easily. So sitting things worked well for me. Sewing and sitting mostly;)

I found out his teacher's favorite color is pink, her favorite treat is a brownie and her favorite Starbucks drink is a Vanilla Chai.

I made four days worth of thank yous from me and one day from my son.

I found these cute Journal Mounts at Joann's that I am going to write out a little poem to go with each gift. (Oh and I am NOT a poet, but I had fun trying to personalize the gift with a thank you for each thing. They had to be short because the Journal Mounts only have a few lines each.)

Here are the gifts with their little poems:

1. An ice cream cozy


Now take a time out
For yourself won't you please.
This ice cream cozy
Won't let your hands freeze.

2. A cup cozy. You make it the same way you make the ice cream cozy, but I use an actual cozy that comes from the store when you order a hot drink for my template. I also used Insulbright for the inside insulation. I put a $5 Starbucks gift card in there too. You are so awesome
So please won't you try
To take some time to unwind
With a Vanilla Chai?
If you are interested, here is the little coffee cup card I cut out. I did not want it to be cute, I just wanted it to be a place holder, if you will, for the cozy. The ice cream cozy will have a real pint in it, this will not since it has the Starbucks gift card. You could totally use a card like this and make it way cute for another purpose though;)


3. A pencil holder. I just stitched up a cylinder with some patchiness. I used some really stiff Peltex to keep it standing up nicely. It is completely lined with no exposed seams.
You do so much
In this difficult joint.
Thank you so much
That is my point.

4. A rectangular container to catch whatever she may need. I put some of my favorite brownies in there. We love to mix these up with just applesauce. So good.


You held us together
And that's no small feat
And now we share with you
OUR favorite brownie treat.

5. I had my son draw some flowers in different sizes. I had drawn the circle on the right and said to make flowers smaller than that. This way he had an idea how big to make them. I used my favorite technique for sewing with felt and stitched up a broach from his drawings. It is so fun and simple. You take your drawing or whatever, cut it out of paper and layer it on top of felt. Reduce your stitch length waaaay down, and sew directly following the lines on your paper.





If your stitch length was short enough, the paper will almost pop off on it's own. You carefully peel the paper off at this point. Carefully trim closely to the line without cutting the line. Do this with all your flowers. Stack them together, stitch them together. Embellish with some cute matching buttons and sew a pin to the back.


I just love how it turned out. My son was so proud of himself with this one.

My 3 year old saw it and had to make one too. He doesn't get nearly enough drawing time in. It took all we could do to get him to draw two flowers. But I stitched his up just the same. I think any of these would be great girlfriend, or Mother's Day, or pick me up gifts individually too.
For all that you do
I want to say thank you so.
Your nurturing ways
Have helped me to grow.

I also had my son write a letter to his teacher. And lastly we included a letter he wrote and sent to our Governor asking her not to cut his education any more. Arizona is right there at the bottom of the list (or second to the bottom) for education. There is this idea if you are in AZ and want to teach your kids about being involved in making change happen. join hands for education

My girlfriend and I are having the kids in their class trace their hands and then sign them. We cut them out and made a poster with them for the teacher.

Take a minute to thank your children's teachers. Teaching is so much more than just the ABC's. It is stepping in where I am not, to do all the things I can't do while my son is at school.

I'm also going to add a note and another favorite poem, I'm not sure who wrote it, but I totally feel like a teacher's job and a parent's job are one in the same.


“WHOSE CHILD IS THIS?”
"Whose child is this?" I asked one day
Seeing a little one out at play
"Mine", said the parent with a tender smile
"Mine to keep a little while
To bathe his hands and comb his hair
To tell him what he is to wear
To prepare him that he may always be good
And each day do the things he should"
"Whose child is this?" I asked again
As the door opened and someone came in
"Mine", said the teacher with the same tender smile
"Mine, to keep just for a little while
To teach him how to be gentle and kind
To train and direct his dear little mind
To help him live by every rule
And get the best he can from school"
"Whose child is this?" I ask once more
Just as the little one entered the door
"Ours" said the parent and the teacher as they smiled
And each took the hand of the little child
"Ours to love and train together
Ours this blessed task forever."

Hopefully this will give you an idea or two for doing something for your child's teacher. Let me know if you ended up using any of them yourself, K?

Anjeanette

21 comments:

Ferrers Locke said...

Your method for making felt flowers is a keeper. More great ideas. Thanks.

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Wow!!

You out do me! These are all fantastic gifts!

I usually get around to getting gifts for the teachers at Christmas, Valentines and end of the year.

I wish I could do something like this but to do it x 13 is crazy.

I always feel like the bus drivers and their aides get short changed too. So add another 6 to the mix.

If money and time weren't an issue, I would totally do something like this for them all.

We always do something handmade. I try to always come up with something different. Maybe the ladies would like to receive broaches.

Oh and I love the poem! Even your little ones are cute!

Well done!
Katrina

Crystal said...

Cute ideas and I love that they can be used as gifts for anyone.

rachel griffith said...

SUPER cute ideas!!!
thanks for sharing.

i hope you have a blessed day.

Sarah said...

These are awesome!! I may just have the time to get 1 or 2 done this weekend :)

leah said...

So cleaver I love them all, i think I may need to thank my DD teacher, She is lovely and deserving. thanks for sharing.

SweatersinJune said...

awww. i teach middle school.. the kids dismiss their teachers at this age.
who knows.. maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised by something this week.

Bridget said...

I love your adorable pins! I can't wait to make some with my kids.

jillytacy said...

What great gifts! As a teacher I can say I would love to receive any of these! I'm sure your child's teacher will be thrilled.

Junella Sgro said...

I LOVE your ideas! Thank you for covering every day of the week! Fortunately for us, we celebrate Teacher appreciation Week on the 18th, so time is on my side ^_^ !

I saw the tutorial for the ice cream and coffee cozies. Is there one for the box and pencil holder?

THANKS!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Thanks guys for the kind remarks. I think teaching is in our blood (our Mom was a teacher) and I feel like there isn't enough done for teachers.

I'm sorry but there isn't a pattern for the pencil holder or the box. I just kind of fudged them;)

For the pencil holder, I wanted it lined and all seams hidden. I made up two pieces of the patchy material and sewed them together on the bottom hiding the bottom seam. I sewed along the top with handmade bias tape. I then stitched up a circle the size of the bottom and hand stitched it on. I hope that helps a little.

kw said...

I linked to your tutorial for the felt tutorial on my blog. We made one for Mother's Day. Thanks for the inspiration! Your blog is one of my all time faves.

Angela Maggard said...

oh my goodness! These ideas are AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing!!! :)

Annette W. said...

HI! Thanks for beautiful ideas! For the felt flowers, do you need to use a special embroidery hoop or thread to make these or just a simple old machine? Would you mind emailing me or commenting on my blog? Thanks!!!

As a former teacher, I can say that such thoughtful gifts will certainly be appreciated!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I don't use anything special for sewing the flowers. I simply stick the paper on top of felt and using a very close or short stitch length (that is the important part) stitch along the lines. The paper almost pops off itself. It is so simple and I sew lots of things on felt this way. Just like this: http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/2009/02/yes-you-were-right-it-is-tic-tac-toe.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing all these great ideas. I am trying to come up with something and will post it on my blog once I do.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing all these great ideas. I am trying to come up with something and will post it on my blog once I do.

Blog Squad @ Kids Matter said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have linked to your post from our blog. I love the brooch idea and think it woudl also be great for Mother's Day. Please stop by and check out our blog sometime at www.kidsmatter1.blogspot.com
Angie

Joseff Welsh said...


This is a good strategy. Finding all types of packaging boxes and other packaging options under one roof helps buyers select everything without surfing much.
by: wholesale beard oil boxes

Exclusive Watches said...

Exclusive Watches is a company of brand new watches, our highly recommended watch is Aquanaut Patek Philippe Blue 5968g 010 , Its blue dial with black radiant and white gold numerals give an alluring display. A composite material of midnight blue color and fold-over clasp look stylish on a modern man’s wrist. Get this brand new automatic watch with chronograph function and full authenticity of its working from us at an appropriate price that suits its style. A polished case with a sturdy and dazzling bezel contributes to the aesthetic effect.

Line Heights said...

A website will help you grow your business and attract clients. Hire Line Heights as a Web Design Agency because your business needs a website for a strong brand presence.