Monday, March 16, 2009

Book mark from Valentine


We like to teach our kids about being good to the planet. Of course we can't always. But I think that every little bit helps.

We have this crinkled up bag of Valentines hanging around. I wanted to come up with a way to keep some that would be useful. So I came up with this.

Gather your supplies. You need a circle punch, ribbon, glue, Valentines. Of course you could make this with some of your child's art work or just paper.



Measure your book to see how long you want the ribbon. My son reads these A to Z Mysteries like they are going out of print. We made the ribbon about 4 inches longer than the length of the book.


Your helper will want to do this part. Center the image in the circle and cut it out. I love that little hand! Cut two circles for each end. That is a total of 4 circles.


Put glue on the back of each circle. Sandwich the ribbon between two of the circles.


Think about which direction you want the images to be facing. My 6 year old wanted them facing this way. Who am I to argue? This project was for him.


And again the finished bookmark.

Anjeanette



_________
This is Rebecca butting in! ;)
I love this idea! I have lots of valentines cards leftover all the time. I also always look at them in the clearance bins when they are 90% off thinking I need to buy them. I think they would be cute (and easy) gifts for my kids to make for other kids, or even for their teachers!

We are linking to Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Trendy Treehouse, Today's Creative Blog.

3 comments:

Lucky Mom said...

Where was this post one week ago? I just tossed out some really cute valentines. This would be good to recycle some of the ones received as well. Thanks for the idea. I will do this next year. Super cute!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh way to reuse, I love this idea! I'm going to make some with special cards that I've saved, the pic on one side and the inscription on the other. Thanks for the fantastic idea! I'll be linking as well.

Kathleen said...

What a great idea. I was just wondering what I could do with some of the adorable Valentines my daughter received.
Glad to have found you through McLinky Monday!
Kathleen
http://www.firefliesandfamily.blogspot.com