Thursday, February 19, 2009

The importance of using the right tools.

I have a confession. Most of the time I don't use the right tools for the projects I do. I'm much more of a *use what you have* kind of girl. I go with the flow. But for some reason I sew a lot of things that need to be turned, like purse handles. I have a handy safety pin that I use to push through. Every time I think to myself "Self, this would be so much easier if I had a turner." I have a bunch of art bags coming up that I am going to be making. So I bought some real seam turners!! I was so excited to get to use it.

I couldn't find the one I had used 20 years ago in sewing class, but I found these:




(I iron on a towell on my kitchen island, hence the lovely background)





I LOVED using the seam turner for straps for my little project. LOVED it. Wow! How $6 can made a difference in my life. The only thing I don't like is they don't have a case or something to put them in and keep them together once you are done. Strange. I guess I'll have to make something;)

While I was at it, I figured I'd try my hand with heavy weight Pellon. I've used regular weight before just fine. Well I again am in love with the heavy weight iron on Pellon. It made my project hold up beautifully. Right now I am in need of a new sewing foot. I don't know how, but I broke mine. I've been making only things that could use a quilting foot. The Pellon worked beautifully with the quilting foot.

And a little explination about what I made;) It is to organize all the stuff that we need for my son's feeding tube. I can keep two stethescopes (sometimes he wants to use one with us), a syringe, the cap of the feed tube and there is a strap on the side to hold medical tape. And it is all held to the IV pole with straps (that I turned with my new seam turner!) And the organizer stays flat because of the heavy weight Pellon!


I'm excited to have tried new tools and loved them both! Made my project come together so much smoother!! I have just saved myself so much time from using the right tools for the job. You have no idea how much I grumbled when I would have to turn straps or anything else. These two things are so awesome!
~Anjeanette

4 comments:

Regina said...

Amazing what cool things we can make when necessity presents itself - and this is so bright and cheery!!! Nice job! - I've been meaning to get some of those turners, too.

Kat said...

Way cool!!! You could market those to the people who supply the pumps!!! How many people who have to have these things in their homes would love to have something that keeps it all together. All of them I am sure!!

I would!!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I love this! I also use whatever I have. But, yet, what a huge difference the right tools make! Something so simple...

Lucky Mom said...

Looks great. Something like this would be a nice holiday surprise to parents whose children spend more time in the hopsital than ANY child ever should. You should make a bunch and deliver them to the Children's Hospital. :)